We usually make Avarakkai curry by just cooking it and add coconut in the end. Being bored of making that, i wanted to make it in a different way. This is a different way of making broad beans poriyal which i learnt from a friend. Everyone at home liked it and we had this avarakai poriyal with rasam rice. Check out my beans curry and carrot peas cabbage poriyal.
Preparation Time : 15 mins | Cooking Time : 20 Mins |Serves: 2-3
Avarakkai 250 gms
Mustard seeds 1/4 tsp
Urad dal 1/4 tsp
Turmeric powder a pinch
Grated Coconut 2 tblsp
Cumin seeds 1/4 tsp
Red chili 2
Shallots 2 (optional)
Oil 1 tsp
- Wash the avarakkai and cut it into big pieces.
- Heat a kadai and add oil,When it is hot add the mustard seeds and urad dhal.
- When it crackles add the avarakkai pieces to it.
- Add turmeric and salt as needed,.
- Sprinkle with a little water and close with a lid.
- Cook till it becomes tender.
- Grind the coconut,jeeragam,redchillies and shallots into a smooth paste .
- Add it to the cooked avarakkai.
- Mix well.
- Transfer it to a serving bowl. Enjoy with sambar rice/curd rice.
- Can be mixed with hot plain rice.