Kootu with any veggies is a comfortable food for all of us in my home. It can be made with any veggies and this time i made with snake gourd. You can make this with any veggies of your choice. Normally we use beans,chow chow, drumstick,or eggplant to make kootu.
|SNAKE GOURD||2 SMALL|
|YELLOW MOONG DHAL||1/2 CUP|
|CHANNA DAL||1 FISTFUL|
|URAD DAL||1 TBLSP|
|COCONUT SCRAPPED||1/4 CUP|
|COOKING OIL||1 TSP|
|RED CHILLI||2-3 NOS.|
|COCONUT OIL||1/2 TBLSP(OPTIONAL)|
|MUSTARD SEEDS||1/2 TSP|
|ASAFOETIDA||A GENEROUS PINCH|
|TURMERIC POWDER||A PINCH|
- Wash and slit the Snake Gourd and remove the seeds from the center.
- Cut it into half circles.
- Soak the yellow moongdal and channa dal in water and add the snake gourd on the top of it.
- Add salt and turmeric powder.
- Pressure cook it .
- In a kadai, add the urad dal and redchillies and saute till golden brown.
- Add the cumin seeds and coconut scraping.
- Grind it into a smooth paste by adding little water to it.
- Heat a kadai add the cooking oil and temper with mustard seeds and asafoetida.
- Add th cooked dal and veggie mixture and the ground paste to it.
- Mix well.
- Switch off the flame.
- Add coconut oil to it.(ONLY IF YOU ARE USING)
- Garnish with curry leaves.
- Serve with hot rice.
I couldn’t take any pictures at this stage since my camera’s battery was exhausted.
YOU CAN REPACE REDCHILLIES WITH 1/2 –3/4 TSP OF BLACK PEPPER.