Poha | rice flakes with pepper flavour
Milagu aval is a simple and easy recipe to make breakfast and the most interesting part is no need to chop any veggies or even Onions too. Usually i make Poha Upma or Puli Aval out of aval (rice flakes) but after i had this Milagu Aval in my friend’s place i hooked up with this recipe and asked the recipe from her and tried it twice at home. We loved it very much and it tasted more like VenPongal. This Milagu aval recipe is made in a jiffy and can be had as an evening snack too.
INGREDIENTS: (SERVES :2)
I used the thin aval, but the original recipe my friend mentioned is to use Thick Aval. As i don’t have the thick aval i used the thin one.
|POHA | AVAL||1 CUP|
|BLACK PEPPER||1/2 TSP|
|CUMIN SEEDS (JEERA)||1/2 TSP|
|MUSTARD SEEDS||1/4 TSP|
- Wash the poha (aval) and drain the water.
- Coarsely grind the black pepper and cumin seeds and i added the curry leaves to this as the kids will eat, even me too
- In a pan, add the oil and the mustard seeds and when it crackles add the cashew nuts and when it turns brown add the ground pepper cumin powder.
- Saute for a minute in low flame , without getting it burnt.
- Add salt and and mix it nicely and keep in low flame for minutes.
- If you feel little dry sprinkle 1-2 tblsp of water and mix well.
- always serve hot.
- Instead of cashew nuts you can add peanuts too.
- You can add few drops of ghee in the last to enhance the flavour.