Kothavarangai | Cluster beans , the veggie i am buying and tasting for the first time. Yes, i have never seen my mom cooking this veggie and even at my in laws place they won't cook this vegetable. When i went for vegetable shopping with my friend , she was telling that she will make kootu out of cluster beans. When she explained the method i too picked up some cluster beans and made this kootu. It turned out very nice . Try out this simple kootu. It doesn't involve any pressure cooking of dal as we do for other kootu varieties.
- Wash the kothavarangai and chop them .
- In a pan add the chopped vegetable and add little water. Add turmeric powder, asafoetida and salt.
- Cook this till the vegetables becomes soft. Cluster beans will get cooked in 10-12 minutes.
- Meanwhile roast the moong dal, black pepper and red chilli in a dry pan till the dalgives out a nice aroma and changes into golden brown colour.
- When cool, grind this into a fine paste along with coconut.
- Add the ground paste to the cooked veggie.
- Mix well and add little water to this to get a kootu consistency. The kootu will get thicken when it is cool as we have added moong dal in the ground paste.
- So even if it is little watery it is ok.
- Temper mustard seeds and curry leaves on the top.
- Serve with rice and any spicy curry. We had with Potato Curry.
- Do not increase the quantity of moong dal more than the amount mentioned. The kootu will be very thick and the texture will not be nice.