Though the post may be elaborate, the recipe is simple . You can make the dry red chutney in advance. Burger buns or Pav buns can be used. I used burger buns as i don't get pav buns here.
For potato filling
- Chop the onions , garlic and green chilli very finely.
- In a pan add oil and add the 2 tsp oil.
- Throw in the mustard seeds and when it splutters add the garlic and green chilli. When the garlic turns slightly brown add in t onions and add salt.
- Saute till the onions become translucent.
- Mash the boiled potato and and add it to the onions. Add turmeric powder. Saute well by mixing it together.
- Potato filling is ready. Make them into a equal sized balls of a lemon size. Keep it aside.
- In a wide bowl add the besan, turmeric powder , salt and baking soda.
- Add water little by little to make it into a thick paste. Let the dough be the consistency of a thick idli batter.
- Heat oil for deep frying. Dip the potato balls in the batter and carefully drop them in the oil. Deep fry them .
- Drain them in a kitchen towel.
For the Dry Garlic Red chutney:
- In a pan add oil and add garlic. Roast them till they become golden brown. Keep it aside.
- In the same pan add the dry coconut and when the turns golden brown switch off the flame and add the red chilli powder.
- When cool grind this into a fine powder (without adding any water) along with salt and sugar. Add peanut in the last and grind .
- Dry red chutney is ready .
- Slit the buns , but not fully. Let the edges be stay connected to each other.
- Spread dry red chutney to the base of the bun.
- Place a potato ball (deep fried potato balls) inside this.
- A fried green chilli can be placed near this for extra spiciness.
- Some people spread green chutney on the top inner portion of the bun, but my friend told , not to do like that. If you want you can serve with green chutney.
- In the red chutney you can add 1/2 tblsp of roasted white sesame seeds while grinding.
- Instead of deep frying the vadas you can cook them over the paniyaram pan, which i do generally for Koftas.