Try this thokku with small onions(shallots) , you can make with big onion too but it won't taste the same.
Check out Idli recipe and Curd rice recipe.
- In a pan add few drops of oil and saute the red chilli.
- Grind this along with the onions and salt.
- Heat oil in a pan and add the mustard seeds and asafoetida
- Add the ground onion paste to this and add the tamarind paste and turmeric powder to this.
- Cook this nicely till the onion paste reaches a thokku consistency and raw smell of onion goes. Cook in a low flame.Stir often.
- If it is dry add little oil in between.
- Switch off the flame and allow this to cool.
- Store this in a dry and clean box.
- This will stay good in room temperature for 2 days and will be good in refrigerator for 10 days.