- Wash the rice and soak this in 1 and 1/4 cup of water.
- Cut the kovakkai|tindora lengthwise. If using potatoes peel the skin and cut them too in the same size.
- Dry roast the coriander seeds, dry coconut, red chilli till golden brown. Add the cumin seeds and switch off the flame. Grind this into a smooth paste by adding little water.
- In a pressure cooker add oil and add the bay leaf and cloves. Add in the ground paste and saute in a low flame for few minutes.
- Add the cut tindora and potato(if using) and mix evenly.
- Add in the rice and water to this and add salt. Add the goda masala. (if adding)
- Cover the pressure cooker and let it be in medium low flame. After 1 whistle put it in a very low flame for 10 minutes and switch off the flame.
- roast the cashew nuts in ghee and add it to the rice. Garnish with coriander leaves and freshly grated coconut.
- Fresh coconut can be added instead of dry coconut . Dry roast it nicely before adding. But dry coconut (koparai) gives a exotic flavour to the rice.
- Tindora can be replaced with mixed vegetables too.
- Goda masala enhances the flavor of the rice so if you can get this at your place try the masalae bath with goda masala.