I tried this porridge with samai arisi. You can try with any millet of your choice. Check out my millet recipes here.
Samai arisi kanji
Preparation Time : 5 mins | Cooking Time : 20 Mins |Serves: 1-2
Samai arisi 3 tblsp
Vendayam 1 tsp
Cumin seeds (jeera) 1/2 tsp
Water 2 cups
Butter milk 2 cups
Salt to taste
Mustard seeds 1/4 tsp
Asafoetida a pinch
Pepper powder to taste
Oil 1 tsp
- In a pressure cooker, add oil and throw in the mustard seeds and when it splutters, add the cumin seeds , asafoetida and venthayam.
- Saute for few secons without getting it burnt.
- Add the samai arisi to this. You can wash the rice nicely and add the rice to this,
- Add 2 cups if water to this and add salt. Pressure cook this for 3-4 whistles.
- Once done, mash it well and add 1/2 cup of water to this. Allow this to cool completely.
- Once it is cool add buttermilk to this.
- Mix well and add pepper powder to this. I added freshly ground pepper.
- Serve chilled.
- You can add finely chopped carrots, few peas to make a more healthier version.
- This arisi kanji can be made with thinai arisi, varagu arisi or kuthiraivaali rice too.
- Even you can add finely chopped or whole shallots( chinna vengayam) to the kanji to make it more flavourful.
- Instead of adding whole vendayam you can add dry roast it a nd powder it and add in the cooked rice mixture when it hot.
- If using rice add par boiled rice.