Soup is a very common dish takes place in my kitchen. But mostly i end up making either tomato soup or sweet corn veg soup as the kids love it most. Last year when i made the supplement for Kungumam Thozi, themed Soups n Salads, i have given few new interesting soup recipes. This beetroot soup is one among them. Since the weather is very pleasant and cold, i thought i will share a recipe of soup today and found a beetroot lying down in the refrigerator. So i decided to make the beetroot soup and writing this post now with a cup of hot soup beside me. Check out my other soup recipes. You can have this soup with whole wheat toasted bread and have it as a light lunch or dinner too.
Preparation Time : 10 mins | Cooking Time : 25 Mins |Serves: 3-4
Beetroot Chopped 3/4 cup or 1 small beetroot
Garlic pods 4
Butter or Olive oil 3 tsp
Fresh cream 1-2 tblsp
Pepper powder as needed
Salt to taste
Bay leaf 1
Yellow moong dal 1 tblsp
- Peel the skin of the beetroot and chop them roughly. I just chopped them finely.
- Take out the skin of the garlic and chop the onions roughly.
- In a pressure cooker, add butter or oil. I used butter. I did in the pan first and then transferred to cooker. As the beetrot was dark in side the cooker i couldn't capture it well, so i did thsi only for pictures. You can do the entire cooking in pressure cooker itself.
- Add the bay leaf, onions and garlic.
- Add the chopped beetroot to this after onions turns nice brown colour. Saute for 5 minutes on high heat stirring continuously. Lower the flame and add the moong dal.
- Add 2 cups of a water and pressure cook till 3 whistles.
- The beetroot must have cooked and will be soft now.
- Allow this to cool. Take out he water , reserve this to add it to the soup later. Discard the bay leaf.
- Grind the rest of the chunks.
- Add the beetroot puree and the cooked water to this.
- Add 1 more cup of water to adjust the consistency.Let this boil for 5-7 minutes in a medium flame.
- Add the salt and pepper powder.Switch it off and add the fresh cream.
- Mix well.
- Serve the soup hot.
- Instead of fresh cream you can add full cream milk too.
- If adding milk add when you are grinding the beetroot chunks. Add 1/4 cup of milk.
- You can add coriander stem while cooking, will give a nice flavor.
- Yellow moong dal is added to get thickness to the soup.