After all festive food and work, it took little time for me to come back to routine. So today i will be sharing the recipe of Chettinad style Karuveppillai Kuzhambu| Curry leaves kulambu. This authentic South Indian gravy recipe, was passed to me by a reader Ceyizhai Pari, sometime back. so i thought i will try it and post this today. So after the festive food this simple karuveppillai kuzhambu with hot rice and beans curry was totally a bliss for me. Check out my other version of karuvepillai kuzhambu too which i posted long back.
Chettinad Karuveppilai Kuzhambu
Preparation Time : 15 mins | Cooking Time : 25 Mins |Serves: 4-5
Curry Leaves| Karuvepilai 1/2 cup (loosely packed)
Shallots| Small onion 15-20
Garlic 10-15 pods
Sambar powder 4-5 tsp
Dhaniya powder | Coriander powder 3 tsp
Fennel seeds or fennel powder 1 tsp
Sesame Oil 2 tblsp
Tamarind extract 2 cups
Mustard seeds 1/4 tsp
Vendayam | methi seeds 1/4 tsp
Black Pepper 1/4 tsp
Salt as needed
Turmeric powder 1/2 tsp
Jaggery 1 tsp
- Soak lemon sized tamarind in hot water and take out 2 cups of extract from that.
- Peel the skin of the onions and garlic.
- In a pan add oil and add the mustard seeds, black pepper and methi seeds.
- When the mustard seeds splutter, add the onions and garlic.
- Let this cook in a medium flame till it becomes nice golden brown colour.
- Grind the curry leaves, tomato, sambar powder, fennel powder and coriander powder into a fine paste. Add little water to this while grinding if needed.
- Once the onions and garlic are done add the ground paste to this.
- Mix this well and add 1/2 cup of water.
- Cook in a low flame till the raw smell goes. It will take around 10 minutes. Stir in between.
- Now add the tamarind extract. Add turmeric powder and salt to this.
- Let this boil in a medium low flame till it reaches a kuzhambu consistency and the oil floats on the top. Add the jaggery and mix well. Switch off the flame.
- Serve hot with any curry of your choice or a simple papad| appalam will be perfect too.
- Shallots make this gravy very perfect, but if you can't find it in your place or lazy to peel it, go ahead with finely chopped big onions.
- You can add 1 tsp of red chilli powder to this gravy if you need it very spicy.