Cabbage, carrot and peas is always a winning combination,which i personally love the most. During the green peas season i insist my mom to make this curry for me. A simple poriyal which goes well with vatha kuzhambu and rasam rice. Recently, when we all met in a friend's place for lunch, she made this curry. But she made it in a different style and we all loved it very much. Her recipes are always a super hit at here in my website. The Gutti vankaya koora, andhra pulihora ,kovakkai chutney, chitranna, beetroot chutney are all the recipes i learnt form her and posted here too. This style of cabbage peas and carrot poriyal went well with rice and roti too. Try this simple South Indian poriyal at home and let me know how it turned out.
Cabbage carrot peas poriyal
Preparation Time : 10 mins | Cooking Time : 10 Mins |Serves: 1-2
Cabbage, carrot, Green peas 1 and 1/2 cup
Curry leaves 1 tsp
Coriander leaves 1 tsp
Green chili 1 small
Ginger a small piece
Cumin seeds| jeera 1 tsp
Coconut 1 tblsp
Mustard seeds 1/4 tsp
Channa dal 1/2 tblsp
Urad dal 1/2 tblsp
Oil 1 tsp
Salt as needed
- Pulse the curry leaves, coriander leaves, ginger, green chili, coconut and cumin seeds in a mixer , once or twice. Let this be coarse .
- In a pan add oil and throw in the mustard seeds, chana dal and urad dal . Saute till the dal becomes golden brown.
- Add the finely chopped cabbage,carrot and peas to this. I used frozen peas. If using fresh peas, you can add peas and carrot first and then add cabbage in the last. This is to avoid the cabbage getting over cooked. Basically the curry should be crunchy.
- The cabbage we get here tends to cook very fast so i added everything at one time.
- Add salt .When the veggies are 3/4th cooked, add in the ground curry leaves and coriander leaves mixture to this. Mix well.
- Switch off the flame.
- Serve the curry with rice or roti.
- I had this with plain paratha, tomato dal and few cut papaya. This was my lunch today.
- You can add 3-4 mint leaves while grinding.
- Finely chopped onions can be added after tempering the mustard seeds.
- Else 1-2 shallots(small onions)can be added while grinding.