Preparation Time : 10 mins | Cooking Time : 25 Mins |Serves: 3
Cooked rice 1 cup
Nellikaai | Gooseberry 6
Dry coconut or fresh coconut 1/4 cup
Green chili 4
Peanuts 2 tblsp
Oil 3 tsp
Mustard seeds 1/4 tsp
Channa dal 1/4 tsp
Urad dal 1/4 tsp
Curry leaves few
Salt as needed
- Wash the gooseberries and chop them and discard the seed portion. No need to boil the gooseberry. Slit the green chili. Initially i took 2 green chilies and i thought it will be enough but later after tasting the rice i realised it is not enough. So add 4-5 green chilies and the sourness of the gooseberry will compensate that. You don't feel spicy.
- Grind this chopped gooseberry and fresh coconut or dry coconut (i used dry coconut) coarsely. Pulse this twice in the mixie.
- Cook the rice and spread it in a plate and keep it aside.
- In a pan add oil and throw in mustard seeds, peanuts, chana dal, urad dal and green chili. In the picture you could see 2 green chili. But i added 2 more later.
- When the dal turns golden brown add the coarsely ground gooseberry coconut mixture.
- Add salt and turmeric powder. Cook this in a low flame till it turns nice colour.
- Now add the cooked rice to this and mix well.
- Check for salt.
- The colour was due to the lighting in my kitchen.
- Gooseberry rice is ready . You can pack this for lunch or have this with vadams or aviyal for lunch.
- Ensure that the rice is grainy and not sticky.
- Since the gooseberries are sour 4-5 green chilies should be perfect.
- You can add cashew nuts also while tempering.
- Grated carrots can be added in the last to make it more healthy.