Potato murukku recipe with Video
Also check out my aloo bhujia and potato chivda recipe
Preparation Time : 10 mins | Cooking Time : 30 Mins |Makes: 14 murukku approx
Rice flour | Idiyappam flour 1 cup
Mashed potato 1/4 cup + 2 tblsp
Cumin seeds 1/2 tsp
Butter 1 tblsp
Hot oil 2 tsp
Salt as needed
Red chili powder 1 tsp
Oil for deep frying
Video of potato murukku
- In a wide bowl add the rice flour or idiyappam flour and add the mashed potato.
- For mashed potato cook the potato in pressure cooker for 6-7 whistles. Peel the skin and mash it with a fork.
- I used a medium sized potato for this.
- Add salt, red chili powder, asafoetida and cumin seeds to this.
- Add melted butter and 2 tsp of hot oil to this.
- Mix this well with hands and take out any lumps in the potato. Else it will get struck while pressing in the murukku press.
- Add water little by little and make it into a soft dough. Keep it covered all the time.
- I used the thenkuzhal achu for making this potato murukku.
- Heat oil for deep frying. When it is hot bring it to medium flame.
- Squeeze the murukku directly to the oil.
- Once one side is cooked flip the murukkus. Do not flip when it not cooked on one side.
- This will be very soft and break , and will not hold shape.
- Once it is cooked on both sides and the oil sound subsides . Take out from oil and drain in a kitchen towel.
- Repeat this for the rest of the dough.
- Crispy potato murukku is ready. Store this in a airtight container.
- Add red chili powder more if you want it more spicy.
- You can add omam| ajwain instead of cumin seeds.
- Mash the potatoes nicely before adding to flour, else it will get struck while pressing in the murukku press.
- If the murukku is breaking in the oil and doesn't hold shape, the dough may be too dry. Sprinkle little water to the muruku dough and knead well.
- Keep the dough covered all the time.
- If making in bulk quantity, make dough in batches.
- You can add pepper powder also instead of red chili powder.