Caramel payasam recipe with videoCaramel payasam | caramel kheer, is similar to the paal payasam recipe, with 3 major ingredients, but with a variation of caramelising the sugar. I have this payasam tried few times but i chose to post it today to celebrate a special event. Yes, my in laws are celebrating their 50th Wedding anniversary today. Yesterday they had a small get together in Chennai. As things were planned in the last minute i couldn't join the event. But my husband and his 2 brothers were there with them on this special occasion. So this caramel payasam comes as a virtual treat for them.
Check out my rice kheer recipe.
Caramel payasam recipe
Preparation Time : 10 mins | Cooking Time : 35 Mins |Serves: 5-6
Full cream Milk 4 cups
Sugar 1/2 cup
Nuts to garnish (optional)
Raw rice or millets or basmati rice 3 tbslp
Salt a pinch
Video of how to make caramel payasam
For this recipe pressure cooker works out well. If needed grease a pressure cooker with ghee. Though i don't do it i have seen my mami doing this.
- Wash and soak the rice for 20 minutes. You can use millets or basmati rice. Even seeraga samba rice works out well.
- Add 1/4 cup of sugar into the cooker. Do not add water. Keep the flame medium.
- Let the sugar caramalise and turn into golden brown, amber colour.
- Do not stir it often. Just keep a close eye on this.
- Once the sugar starts turning out golden colour, immediately pour the milk.
- Better switch off the flame and pour the milk. You can add the raw milk. Be careful as it may splutter.
- Stir it once. You may find some sugar sticking to the bottom but do not worry, it will be ok once it is done.
- Drain the water from soaked rice and add it to the milk.
- Cover the lid of the cooker and give one whistle. Sometimes it may flow.
- After one whistle, keep the flame in the lowest possible flame.
- If your stove do not have this option, heat a dosa pan and put the cooker on the top of the pan. Keep in low flame and let it sit for 30 minutes.
- Switch off the flame. Once the pressure completely subsides open the cooker.
- Add 1/4 cup of sugar, If you need the caramel payasam more sweeter add few more tblsp of extra sugar.
- Stir it well.
- Add a pinch of salt. This balances the sweetness and the slight bitterness of the caramel. Thank you raji for giving me this tip.
- Garnish with nuts. I used almonds and pistachios.
- We generally don't add cardamom in paal payasam. I feel the overpowering flavour of cardamom suppress the caramel flavour.
- When you add sugar in the beginning for caramelisation, keep the flame medium. Once you see the light golden brown colour, be alert and it will immediately turn amber /honey colour.
- If you feel the basmati rice is big pulse it once in a mixie and then soak it and add.
- For me 1/2 cup sugar was just perfect but if you want some more sugar add it some more.
- The entire payasam can be made on a heavy bottomed vessel. Cook for 45 minutes to 1 hour on a low flame like how we make the kerala payasam.
- Enjoy the caramel payasam | caramel kheer, hot or chilled. Both ways it taste yum.