Spicy Masala poori recipe
Preparation Time : 15 mins | Cooking Time : 25 Mins |Yields: 9
Whole wheat flour | atta 1/2 cup
Besan | Kadalai maavu 1/4 cup
Red chili powder 1 tsp
Omam | ajwain 2 pinches
Cumin seeds | jeeragam 2 pinches
Kasoori methi 1 tsp (optional)
Oil 1 tblsp + for deep frying
Salt as needed
Video on how to make masala poori
- In a wide bowl add the wheat flour, besan,red chili powder,cumin seeds, omam,kasoori methi and salt.
- Heat 1 tblsp of oil and add it to the flour mixture.
- Add water little by little and make it into a stiff dough.
- Keep it covered for 10 minutes.
- You can make it 2 ways, either roll it big and cut them into roundels or roll in small portions as we do for poori.
- I opted the first method.
- I divided the dough into 2 portions and rolled into thick pooris. Then cut them with a sharp lid.
- The pooris should be rolled slightly thick and not as the usual pooris. They usually do not puff up while frying.
- Heat oil and once when it becomes hot, put that into low flame.
- Deep fry the pooris till it becomes golden brown on both sides.
- Ensure to fry in low flame. Maintain the temperature throughout.
- Repeat this for all the pooris.
- Drain in a kitchen towel.
- When it is completely cool, pack in boxes for your travel.
- The pooris should be rolled thick.
- The pooris should be cooked in a low flame. But ensure the oil is hot.
- Adjust the spiciness according to your preference.
- You can add some garam masala to dough if you want.
- A tsp of semolina| sooji can be added.