- Recipe Cusine: Indian
- Prep Time: 10 Minutes
- Cook time: 30 Minutes
- Serves: 1 and 1/4 cup approx.
- Author: Jeyashri
- Recipe Category: Lunch | Dinner| Breakfast
- Description: Thakkali thokku in tamil, Tomato Thokku recipe, made using fresh tomatoes, sambar powder and sesame oil as main ingredients, pairs well with idli, dosa, curd rice and chapathi too.
Sambar powder 4 tsp
Red chili powder 1 tsp
Jaggery 1/4 tsp
Salt as needed
Sesame oil 4 tblsp
Mustard seeds 1/2 tsp
Asafoetida 1/4 tsp
Fenugreek seeds | venthayam 1/4 tsp
Curry leaves few
Oil 1 tblsp
Method with step by step pictures :
- Wash to the tomatoes and cut them into four pieces.
- Put it in a mixie and make them into puree.
- In a kadai, add oil and throw in the mustard seeds, feneugreek seeds(venthayam) ,curry leaves(i didn’t have stock ,so didn’t use)and asafoetida powder.
- When the mustard seeds splutter, add the tomato puree to it and add the chilli powder, sambar powder, salt and jaggery to it.
- Mix well.
- Keep the flame in low for 15- 20 mins, stirring in between.
- When the gravy thickens and leaves oil on the sides, switch off the flame
- When it is cool, transfer it to an airtight bottle.
- Add a tsp of sesame oil on the top of this.
- Keep in the fridge and can use this for a month.
- Instead of using chilli powder and sambar powder, you can use red chilli powder only.
- Whenever you take the Tomato Thokku from the container,use a dry spoon.