- Recipe Cusine: Indian
- Prep Time: 15 Minutes
- Cook time: 30 Minutes
- Serves: 11- 12 cutlets
- Author: Jeyashri
- Recipe Category: Snack
- Description: Potato Cutlet recipe| Aloo cutlet, with video and step wise pictures,a popular snack of India made using potatoes, a super hit in parties.
Red chili powder 1 tsp
Coriander powder 1/2 tsp
Garam masala 1/2 tsp
Chaat masala 1/2 tsp + 1/2 tsp
Plain flour or Sathu maavu or Ragi flour 1- 2 tblsp
Corn flour 1 tblsp
Pepper powder 1/2 tsp
Cashew nuts few
Coriander leaves few
Bread crumbs 1/2 cup approx.
Oil for deep frying
Method with step by step pictures :
- Boil the potatoes in pressure cooker very softly.
- When it is done, pass it through cold water and peel the skin.
- Pat dry them.
- Mash it nicely with your hand or a potato masher.
- Alternatively you can grate the potatoes too.
- Never run this through a mixie.
- Add the mashed the potato in a bowl.
- Add the red chili powder, coriander powder, 1/2 tsp chaat masala and garam masala.
- Add salt to taste, the cashew nut bits and coriander leaves.
- Cashew nuts can be replaced with peanuts too.
- Add the Sathu mavu or ragi flour. You can add plain flour| maida too.
- Mix well using a dry hands.
- Ensure there is no lumps and there is no moisture.
- Make this into a thick ball.
- I used heart shaped cookie cutter to make this potato cutlet.
- You can make this into round shape or oblong shape too.
- Take a lemon sized ball of the potato mixture.
- Press this into the cookie cutter.
- Pat them gently and press it well.
- Invert on a plate and gently push it from behind.
- As we greased the cookie cutter it will easily come out.
- Repeat this for the rest of the potato mixture.
- In a bowl add corn flour, pepper powder and 1/2 tsp chaat masala.
- Add water and make it a thin paste.
- Dip the potato patties in cornflour mixture and immediately roll them on bread crumbs.
- Roll generously and arrange them in a plate.
- Keep it refrigerated for 15 minutes.
- If using for the next day, cover it and keep it in the fridge overnight.
- Heat oil and when it is hot, bring it to medium.
- Fry the cutlets in batches. Cook on both sides till golden brown.
- Once done, take out and drain the excess oil in a kitchen towel.
- Repeat this for the rest of the potato patties.
- Potato cutlets are ready.
- Serve with Kebeb chutney or tomato ketchup.
- If you are using cookie cutter just grease the cutter with oil before pressing.
- You can keep it in the fridge for a longer time also.
- I made them on the previous day and fried on the next day only.
- If you don’t have breadcrumbs, just roast the bread in tawa without oil. Roast it nicely and powder them in the mixie.
- Potato cutlet is a perfect crowd pleaser and party snack recipe.