shallots along with tamarind extract. Tiffin Sambar or Idli Sambar is a popular side dish
recipe for idli or dosa in many hotels in South India, which is made by replacing yellow
moong dal instead of the usual toor dal. I adapted this recipe from my mother who always
makes this version of sambar to pair with Pongal or idli or dosa. We make the usual toor
dal version to pair with rice. Moving on to the recipe of hotel style tiffin sambar. Look out
for my restaurant style Sambar Vadai recipe for an interesting variation.
- Recipe Cusine: Indian
- Prep Time: 10 Minutes
- Cook time: 30 Minutes
- Serves: 3-4
- Author: Jeyashri
- Recipe Category: Breakfast| Dinner
- Description: Tiffin Sambar, A popular, tasty South Indian gravy made by simmering lentils and shallots along with tamarind extract.
Small onion | Shalltos 10-12
Tamarind a small gooseberry size
Yellow moong dal 1/4 cup
Sambar powder 1 tsp
Turmeric powder 1/4 tsp
Salt to taste
Oil 1 tsp
Curry leaves few
Asafoetida a pinch
To roast and grind
Coriander seeds | dhaniya 1/2 tsp
Red chili 2
Channa dal 1/2 tsp
Cumin seeds 1/4 tsp
Coconut 1 tblsp
Oil 2 tsp
Method with step by step pictures :
- Peel the skin of the small onions and chop the tomatoes finely.
- Pressure cook the dal till 3 whistles by adding enough water and a pinch of turmeric powder to it.
- In a pan, add oil and temper with mustard seeds and a red chili . When it splutters add the onions and saute in a low flame, without getting it burnt.
- When it is done add the tomatoes.
- When the tomatoes become mushy add the tamarind extract(soak a small gooseberry sized tamarind in hot water and extract juice adding a cup of water to this)
- Add sambar powder, turmeric powder and salt to this.
- Let this boil in a low flame.
- Take another pan and add few drops of oil and throw in the coriander seeds, chana dal, and red chili.
- Saute till they gives a nice brown colour.
- When it cool,grind this into a very smooth paste along with coconut and cumin seeds.
- Add the cooked moong dal to the boling tamarind extract, along with the ground paste.
- Add enough water as per your desired consistency. I added a cup of water.
- Boil nicely and add chopped coriander leaves and curry leaves.
- Big onions can be replaced instead of shallots.
- Even toor dal can be used instead of moong dal to make tiffin sambar.