This is a simple version of cabbage curry which i learnt from my grandma. Generally thsi type of curry is served in weddings. At home when we have the quantity of the vegetable is less, they add moong dal to increase the volume of the curry. But this tastes too good. This is a perfect combo for vathal kuzhambu.
Recipe for cabbage curry.
|CABBAGE(FINELY CHOPPED)||1 CUP|
|YELLOW MOONGDAL||4 TBLSP|
|MUSTARD SEEDS||1/4 TSP|
|URAD DAL||1/4 TSP|
|GREEN CHILLI||1 NO|
|TURMERIC POWDER||A PINCH|
- Wash and cut the cabbage into fine pieces.
- Soak the moong dal in water for 15 minutes.
- In a pan, add oil and throw in the mustard seeds, urad dal, chopped green chili and grated ginger.
- When the mustard seeds splutter and the urad dal becomes golden brown color add the cabbage and the soaked moong dal(drain the water) to this and mix well.
- Add turmeric powder and salt.
- Mix well and sprinkle a handful of water to this and cook for 10 mins in medium flame.
- When it is done, add the scrapped coconut and mix well. Switch off the flame.
- Serve with any gravy of your choice.
- Coconut oil (1 tsp)can be added at the last stage to enhance the flavor.
- Do not over the cabbage or the moongdal.