Vathal kulambhu | vathakuzhambhu is an easy dish which we normally make at home almost once or twice a week. I have already few collections of kuzhambhu varieties here. This arachuvitta vatha kuzhambhu is a must try one with freshly ground spices and tasted exactly like the one served in weddings as an accompaniment for CURD RICE. I got this recipe from my friend’s mil who gave the recipe of Kalyana rasam . Special thanks to you Kalyani mami for giving me such nice recipes. Coming to the recipe of arachuvitta Vathal kuzhambhu. Generally manathakkali vathal or sundakkai vathal(turkey berry) is used for this. I used manathakkali vathal. Preparation time: 10 minutes Cooking time:25 minutes . Serves: 6-7 INGREDIENTS:
|MANATHAKKALI VATHAL||2 TBLSP|
|TAMARIND||A SMALL LEMON SIZED|
|SAMBAR POWDER||2 AND1/2 TSP|
|CORIANDER SEEDS||1 TSP|
|CHANNA DAL||1 TSP|
|TURMERIC POWDER||1/4 TSP|
|MUSTARD SEEDS||1/2 TSP|
|SESAME OIL||2 TBLSP|
Roast the dhaniya , chana dal and red chilli till golden brown.
Grind this into a fine paste by adding little water along water along with coconut.
- Soak the tamarind in hot water and extract 3 cups of tamarind juice.
- In a pan add 1 tblsp of sesame oil and add the mustard seeds, curry leaves and the manathakkali vathal.
- Saute till the mustard splutter.
- Add in the tamarind juice.
- Add the turmeric powder, sambar powder, asafoetida, jaggery, and salt. Mix well. Let this boil for 5-7 minutes.
- Add the ground paste and keep the flame to low.
- Let this boil for 10 more minutes.
- This will become semi thick gravy. Put off the flame and add the remaining 1 tblsp of sesame oil and some curry leaves too.
- Delicious vathakuzhambhu is ready to serve.
- My daughter loves to have vathakuzhambhu with Simple potato fry.
- If the vathal you use has salt in it then do not add salt to the kulambhu as it will be more.