Varagu | Kodo Millet is an easily available millet . It is called as Kodra in Hindi and Harka in kannada and Koovaragu in Malayalam. I have just replaced Varagu arisi with normal idli rice. Check out my Idli recipe for detailed recipe and tips on making idli. The idli turned out super soft and no one could make out that it is millet idli. Varagu has lot of health benefits.It reduces blood sugar and also Cholesterol. Also it is a great source of protein for vegetarians. Serve this Idli with any side dish of your choice,. Check out the side dish for idli
Kodo millet idli
Preparation Time : 3 Hrs | Cooking Time : 15 Mins |Yields: 15 idlis
Varagu | Kodo Millet 4 cups
Urad dal 1 cup
Poha | Aval 3 tblsp
Salt as needed
- Wash the varagu rice , urad dal and poha nicely and soak it all together for 3 hours.
- Grind this in a wet grinder and and add salt. Ferment this for 8 to 9 hours till the batter raises.
Grease the idli pan and pour the batter in it.
Steam the idlis for 10 minutes in a medium flame.
Carefully take it out with he help of a spoon. Do not take it out immediately.
Let it sit for a minute and then take it out. Idlis are ready to serve.
- The idlis will not be very white in color as the normal rice idli.
- Taste wise it doesn’t have any difference as it tasted exactly as the normal idli.
- Refer my Idli post for more tips .