ragi chocolate cake with nutella glaze
Making cake with millet flour, is the one i always love. I have already baked a thinai cake and the recipe of which is in my recent cookbook. I wanted to make a cup cake with ragi|finger millet flour. Finally i made this vegan ragi chocolate cake and it was a super hit among kids. The recipe was slightly adapted from here . I packed this for their snacks and they really enjoyed it very much. I just topped the cake with a nutella galze. Since i had 1 tblsp of nutella lying in the box, after trying a sandwich with nutella (recipe coming soon). I felt very satisfied for giving a home baked millet cake for kids to school. Even if you do not have oven, you can try the same cake in pressure cooker too. Check out my pressure cooker cake for more details and instructions.
Preparation Time : 10 mins | Cooking Time : 35 Mins |Serves: 16 square pieces
Ragi flour 1 cup
Whole wheat flour 1/2 cup
Sugar 1/2 cup
Cocoa powder 1/4 cup
Baking soda 1/2 tsp
Oil 5 tblsp
Lemon juice 1 tblsp
Vanilla essence 1 tsp
Water 1 and 1/4 cup
For nutella glaze
Nutella 1 tblsp
Butter 1 tsp
Milk 2 tblsp
- In a wide bowl, sift the ragi flour, whole wheat flour, baking soda and cocoa powder.
- Powder the sugar and in a bowl add the sugar, oil,lemon juice, vanilla essence and water.
- Now slowly mix the wet ingredients and the dry ingredients together and whisk it gently without any lumps.
- Grease a cake tin with oil and dust it with little flour.
- Pour in the batter to this and genlty tap it to get rid of the air bubbles.
- Bake this for 30 -35 minutes in a oven at 160 degrees. Insert a toothpick in the center and if comes out clean then it is done. Mine took 30 minutes . Timing varies from oven to oven.
- Allow this to cool completely. Cut them into sqares after pouring the nutella glaze.
- To make the glaze, in a pan add nutella, milk and butter together.
- Keep in a low flame and stir it. Let this get combined together. Once the butter is melted switch off the flame. It took 2-3 minutes for me to make this glaze.
- when the cake is completely cool, pour the glaze over the cake and spread it evenly and genlty with a butter knife.
- Then cut this into squares.
- You can replace whole wheat flour with maida too.
- You can skip the nutella glaze and serve it plain also.
- The cake was bit dense but was very tasty and kids friendly too.
- You can add finely chopped nuts while mixing the flour.
- Chocolate chips can also be added.