Channa sundal recipe, Navaratri Sundal recipe, with freshly ground spices. Recipe of sundal with full video and step by step instructions.
We make channa sundal | Chickpeas sundal for Navaratri, Ganesh chaturthi and Varalakshmi nombu. Even sometimes when we run out of veggies at home, we can make this as an accompaniment for rasam rice or sambar rice. We usually temper mustard seeds and red chili and add the cooked chickpeas. This way of making sundal with fresh spice powder, I learned from my mother-in-law. I like this one as it is loaded with nice flavors of fresh ground masala.
The same spice powder we can use for making brinjal podi curry and also we can use this powder for rasam and arachuvitta sambar.
We can make this spice powder in bulk during navaratri season and use it up for all varieties of sundal. But people who are very orthodox, will not use the same podi for all days. So you do as per your convenience.
Check out our full collection of Navaratri Sundal and sweets recipes.
Chana sundal | Chickpeas sundal recipe
- 3/4 cup White Kabuli Chana
- Salt as needed
- 3 tbsp coconut
- 2 tsp Oil
- 1/4 tsp mustard seeds
- Few curry leaves
- To Roast and Grind
- 1 tbsp Coriander seeds
- 1 tbsp chana dal
- 4-5 red chilis
- Asafoetida 2 pinches
- In a pan dry roast coriander seeds, chana sal, red chili, and asafoetida, till the dal turns golden brown.
- Allow this to cool and make it into a fine powder. This came around 5 tsp of powder.
- Soak the chickpeas for 7-8 hours or overnight.
- Pressure cook this for 5-6 whistles with salt and enough water.
- Drain the water and keep this aside.
- In a pan add oil and add mustard seeds and curry leaves.
- Once it splutters, add the cooked chickpeas.
- Mix well.
- Add 2-3 tsp of the fresh spice powder and mix well.
- Cook for a minute.
- Switch off the flame
- Add the grated coconut and mix well.
- Chana sundal is ready.
- You can replace white chickpeas with green peas or black chana or peanuts.