Makkan peda is a famous sweet from North Arcot District of Tamilnadu. As it is the native town of my in laws side i have heard about this sweet a lot. Generally it is made out of Khoya, as how we make KHOYA JAMUNS
and it is stuffed with nuts. But i wanted to try out this with Instant gulab jamuns mix
. As i know, in many housed Gulab jamun
is a compulsory one for diwali and so give it a slight variation and try out this Arcot famous Sweet Makkan peda for this Diwali.
PREPARATION TIME:20 MINUTES . COOKING TIME: 30 MINUTES . YIELDS: 14 PEDAS
|GULAB JAMUN MIX
||1 AND 1/2 CUP
|WATER FOR SUGAR SYRUP
||1AND 1/2 CUPS
||TO DEEP FRY
*I added pista,cashew nuts,pumpkin seeds. I finely chopped the nuts.
- Chop the nuts finely. Sieve the jamun mix and add the baking soda to this.
- Use milk to knead the jamun mix into a soft dough without any cracks.
- cover this and keep it aside for 10 minutes.
- In a pan add the sugar and water. Heat this till the sugar dissolves.
- When the sugar gets completely dissolved switch off the flame.
- Now start making jamuns. Take a small lemon sized portion of the jamun dough and grease your hands with ghee. Roll this into a smooth ball and place a hole in the center.
- Place some chopped nuts into this and close the stuffing like how we do for modak.
- Meanwhile heat the oil for deep frying. When it is hot, bring down the flame to low.
- Flatten the stuffed jamun like a peda. Fry this in a very low flame and drain excess oil in a kitchen towel. The jamuns tend to expand in oil adn even after putting in syrup. so make it bit small.
- Repeat the same for the rest of the dough. Keep the dough covered all the time till u make the pedas.
- Now heat the sugar syrup again for 2 minutes.
- Switch off the flame and soak these jamun balls in the syrup for 2 hours.
- I forgot to click the pictures of peda in soaked syrup.
- Serve chilled or as it as.
- Garnish with some nuts while serving.
- Always keep the jamun dough covered to avoid drying and getting cracks.
- You can add raisins ( dry grapes) in the stuffing.
- Always ensure that the sugar syrup is warm while adding the fried balls.