Sheer khurma, Sheer korma is a traditional dessert made during eid ul-Fitr with a fine variety of vermicelli, dates, milk, and nuts. Sheer Khurma recipe with detailed step-by-step pictures.
The rich kheer recipe made during Ramadan day and it’s a must one for this festival. Here in Singapore, they call the festival Hari Raya. I wanted to post this recipe of sheer khurma from last year but somehow I could make it only during this year. I remember reading about this Seviyan kheer for the first time in my son’s SST book while reading with him, festivals of India. Once I made this for my guests yesterday and it was a super hit. The kheer was similar to our semiya payasam but was too rich with nuts, dates, and condensed milk. Usually, they use a fine variety of semiya for this sheer khurma. We get this in the Mustafa Center. If you don’t get this in your place, use normal roasted semiya|vermicelli.
Always use full cream milk | whole milk for making this Seviyan kheer | Sheer khurma. Khoya can also be added to this Sheer khurma. It makes the Sheer korma richer.
Also, check out
Sheer Khurma recipe
- 1 cup Thin vermicelli
- 1 cup Dry fruits*
- 5 cups Milk
- ¾ cup Condensed milk
- 2 tsp Ghee
- Saffron a pinch
- *I used pistachio cashew nuts, almonds, dates, and chironji
- Soak the nuts in very hot water for 15 minutes. Take out the skin from almonds and pistachios and pat dry them.
- I soaked chironji too but later found it very difficult to get rid of the skin. So add chironji with skin or dry roast it and phew the skin away.
- Chop almonds, pista, and cashew nuts lengthwise.
- Chop the dates too. If you get dry dates in your place, soak and use that.
- In a pan add ghee and add the nuts and dates.
- Roast them slightly, no need for a golden brown.
- Take out a few for garnishing.
- In the same pan along with the nuts add the vermicelli. I used roasted vermicelli. If using a non-roasted one, separately roast it and then add.
- Add the milk to this and mix well.
- Allow this to cook on a medium flame. Stir in between.
- The vermicelli will get cooked very soon and it will make the milk thicken soon.
- Once it gets slightly thickening, add the condensed milk.
- Mix well.
- Boil for 5 minutes.
- Add the saffron to this and mix well.
- Switch off the flame.
- The payasam will get thick after it cools down, so check for the right consistency.
- Garnish with the nuts which we kept aside.
- Sheer khurma is ready to serve.
- We all loved it.