Onion tomato chutney is the usual one which i make for idli or dosa. I usually make it in a different way , which i will post later. This version i tasted long back in a birthday party and tried at home assuming the ingredients , but to my surprise the onion tomato chutney (without coconut) came out well and it tasted almost the same which i tasted in the party. Two days back i made this for dosa and my little one who doesn’t eat chuntneys, enjoyed this a lot.
|ROASTED GRAM( CHUTNEY DAL| POTTUKADALAI)||2 TBLSP|
|RED CHILLI||4-5 NO|
|TAMARIND PASTE||1/4 TSP|
|MUSTARD SEEDS||1/4 TSP|
- Chop the onion and tomato finely and peel the skin of garlic.
- In a pan add oil and throw in the red chilli and garlic and roast them in a medium flame.
- Now add the onions and saute till they turns golden brown in color. Cook in a medium flame.Add salt to this .
- Now add the tomatoes to this.
- Cook till the tomatoes become mushy.
- Add roasted gram to this and switch off the flame.
- Add tamarind paste too.( if using tamarind just add a very little piece of tamarind)
- Grind this into a smooth paste adding little water.
- Check for salt and temper with mustard seeds and curry leaves.
- Dilute this by adding little water to reach your desired consistency.
- Instead of Roasted gram, urad dal or channa dal can also be added.
- If using any of these dals, roast them nicely till golden brown and keep it aside.
- Few tblsps of shredded coconut can also be added while grinding.