This onion tomato gravy is a simplest one which my mom makes whenever we go out for any picnics or any tours along with chapathis or dosais. We usually call this as thakkali vengayam. I usually make this onion tomato gravy whenever i run out of any veggies and no mood to make any elaborate side dish for idli or dosa or roti.
|SAMBAR POWDER||1 TO 1 AND 1/2 TSP|
|TURMERIC POWDER||1/4 TSP|
|MUSTARD SEEDS||1/4 TSP|
|WATER||1/4 CUP TO 1/2 CUP|
- Thinly slice the onions and chop the tomatoes.
- In a pan add oil and throw in the mustard seeds and curry leaves.
- When the mustard crackles add the sliced onions.
- When it turns pink add the chopped tomatoes.
- Add the sambar powder,turmeric powder, salt and asafoetida.
- Add water to this and close this with a lid.
- Keep the flame in medium.
- Stir in between and let it be in medium flame till the tomato turns mushy.
- Add jaggery| sugar and mix well.
- Serve hot with Roti, idli or dosa.
- You can add 1/4 tsp of freshly ground black pepper and you can reduce the quantity of sambar powder.
- If you are packing for any picnic or trips, once it is done, just allow it to cool completely and store it in a clean dry bottle or plastic box.
- Always use clean dry spoon.