The original recipe used only whole wheat flour for making nakhattai.
Atta Nan Khatai
Preparation Time : 10 mins | Cooking Time : 15 Mins |Makes: 8 large cookies
Whole wheat flour 1/2 cup
All purpose flour 1/4 cup
Semolina | rava | sooji 1/4 cup
Melted Ghee 1/4 cup
Powdered sugar 1/4 cup
Baking soda a pinch
Food colours - any 5 colors of your choice - a pinch-2-3 drops
Cardamom powder a pinch
Milk 1-2 tblsp (if needed)
- In a wide bowl, add the whole wheat flour, maida, sooji, powdered sugar, cardamom and baking soda.
- If the rava is not very fine, just powder it once in a mixer.
- Add the melted ghee to this.
- Mix this into a smooth dough. sprinkle little milk if needed.
- Divide the dough into 5 equal parts and sprinkle the food colour to each of the dough and mix them evenly.
- Now bring all dough together and make a big ball. Knead it again well and make a ball.
- Take a small potion of this and make desired shapes. I did with a cookie cutter.
- Preheat the oven at 160 degrees. Arrange the nan khattais in a greased tray and bake it for 15 to 20 minutes .
- Nan khatais are ready. Store this in a airtight box and enjoy the cookies.
- If it is slightly soft when soft after taking out from the oven, do not worry, it will become crispy when it is completely cool.
- But if you still feel it is soft after cooling down baking it for 5 more minutes.