This garlic chutney is my all time favorite ,which i learnt from my mom. This is a quite popular chutney in Madurai,my home town. Almost all the household make this,also we can get this in all road side eatery outlets too. Somehow my husband and kids don’t prefer this garlic chutney,since it is bit spicy from the normal one i make. So i don’t make often at home. Few days back when i made dosa for dinner, i thought of making this one for me . I enjoyed this with dosa and my family had dosa with coconut chutney!!
Preparation Time : 10 mins | Cooking Time : 5 Mins |Serves: 2-3
Shallots | small onion 8-10
Garlic 8-9 pods
Red chili 6-7 red chili
Tamarind a small gooseberry sized
Salt as needed
Sesame oil 2 tblsp
Mustard seeds 1/4 tsp
Curry leaves few
Video on how to make Garlic chutney
- Peel the skin of garlic and shallots .
- Soak the tamarind in water for 10 minutes.
- Add the shallots,onion,red chili ,tamarind and salt into the mixie.
- Grind this into a fine paste.
- Transfer it to a bowl.
- In a small pan add sesame oil and add the mustard seeds.
- When it splutters ,switch off the flame and add curry leaves.
- Add it on the top of the chutney.
- Serve with dosa or idli.