Okkarai | Ukkarai is a traditional sweet made in most of the tamil brahmin houses for diwali. I still remember my mom makes this in a very bulk quantity and except me everybody loves this okkarai very much. When i was talking to my mom yesterday, suddenly i remembered of this and asked her for the recipe. In my in –laws place we don’t make this ,and i made this for my hubby who is very fond of sweets. Here comes the recipe of okkarai.
|CHANNA DAL||1/2 CUP|
|CASHEW NUTS(BROKEN INTO PIECES)||2TSP|
|CARDAMOM POWDER||A PINCH|
- Roast the channa dal in a pan for 2 mins(be careful not to burn this)
- Soak it in water for 3 hours.
- Drain the water and grind this into a smooth paste .Just add 1 tblsp of water while grinding.
- Grease a small bowl with ghee and transfer the ground channa dal to this and steam this for 10 mins.
- After steaming, break it into pieces and once it is cool, just grind it in a mixer to get a make it into fine pieces.
- In a pan put the jaggery and add 2 tblsp of water to this.
- Filter the impurities if any.Keep the flame low.
- Let the jaggery melt and comes to 1 string consistency.
- You can check this by taking the jaggery syrup between the thumb and the index finger.
- When it reaches this stage , add the ground dal to this and mix it nicely.
- Add a tblsp of ghee to this and mix well,till it becomes soft and reaches a puttu or usili consistency.
- It took 10-12 mins for me to reach this stage.
- You can add few tsp of ghee in the middle also while sauting.
- Always keep the flame low while doing this.
- Fry cashews in ghee and garnish the okkarai with cashews.
- Add cardamom powder to this and mix well.
- Enjoy this as it is.
- Though this may sound weird my mom and grandma will eat this as an accompaniment for CURD RICE.
- Some may skip the procedure of steaming the ground dal.
- But this will take more time to get cooked .