Sweet potato payasam recipe
Preparation Time : 10 mins | Cooking Time : 35 Mins |Serves: 3-4
Sweet Potato 2
Moong dal 1/4 cup
Jaggery 3/4 cup
Cashew nuts few
Ghee 2 tsp
Cardamom powder a pinch
Milk 1/2 cup (optional)
- Peel the skin of the sweet potato, wash it and chop them into big chunks.
- In a pressure cooker add 1 tsp of ghee and add the moong dal and roast it for 2 minutes in a low flame. Now add the sweet potato and saute it for a minute .
- Add 2 cups of water to this and pressure cook this for 3-4 whistles.
- In a pan add the jaggery and add 1/2 cup of water and boil it till the jaggery melts. Filter the impurities and allow this to boil for 3-4 minutes.
- Meanwhile mashed the cooked sweet potato and moong dal mixture.
- Add 1 cup water as it will be thick. Add the jaggery water to this.
- Fry the cashew nuts in ghee and add this to the payasam. Add cardamon powder. Mix well.
- Once it is completely cool add milk . Ensure the milk is not hot. Let it be cool.
- I didn’t add milk to the payasam. Adding milk gives a nice creamy texture to the payasam.
- Actually i added 1/2 cup of jaggery but i found the payasam is less sweet so i have increased the quantity in the ingredients list.
- The payasam tends to thicken more so add milk if you are consuming it later.
- Ensure the milk is cool, and the kheer is also cool. This is to avoid the payasam gettign curdled.