Dal makhani is a creamy punjabi style gravy, served with roti or jeera rice. Every one will have their own version or recipe for dal makhani, today i am sharing my own version of how to make creamy dal makhani. Punjabi style dal makhani is a popular dabba special recipe. The recipe is updated with video. Check out my
Dal makhani recipe
Preparation Time : 15 mins + 8 hours soaking| Cooking Time : 40 Mins |Serves: 3-4
Whole urad dal 1/2 cup
Rajma (kidney beans) 2 tblsp
Channa dal 1 tbslp
Ginger garlic paste 1 tblsp
Tomato puree 1/2 cup
Fresh cream 1/4 cup
Red chili powder 1 tsp
Cumin powder 1 tsp
Coriander powder 1/2 tsp
Salt as needed
Garam masala 1/4 tsp
Kasoori methi 2 pinches
Oil 5 tsp
Video on dal makhani
- Soak the dals for 7-8 hours or overnight.
- Pressure cook the soaked dal along with star anise and salt for 5-6 whistles.
- Discard the star anise after it is cooked.
- Mash the dal nicely and keep this aside.
- Chop the onions finely.
- In a pan, add oil and throw in the ginger garlic paste and saute till the raw smell goes.
- Now add the onions and saute in a medium flame till it turns golden brown.
- Now add the tomato puree and add the chilli powder, cumin powder, coriander powder and garam masala to this and saute in a low flame for 3-4 minutes.
- Now add the mashed dal to the onion tomato mixture.
- Cook for two minutes and add 1 cup of water.
- Using a potato masher nicely mash the dal.
- Simmer the flame and cook for 15-20 minutes.
- Stir in between to avoid the gravy sticking to the bottom.
- Now add the fresh cream to this and mix well.
- Serve hot with roti or jeera rice. You can add 1 tsp of butter after switching off the stove.
- Tomato puree can be replaced by grinding 2-3 ripe tomatoes in the mixie.
- If you don’t have fresh cream,just replace with normal full cream milk.
- Even evaporated milk can be added instead of fresh cream.