Ven pongal | Khara Pongal is one of the usual dish we make at home for breakfast and sometime even for dinner. My mom makes this extremely well and since tomorrow is the first day of the tamil month margazhi, i thought of posting this recipe which was lying in my draft for a long time. As kids are around, i can not click anything new and visit any blogs regularly.
|RAW RICE||1 CUP|
|YELLOW MOONG DAL||1/2 CUP|
|CUMIN SEEDS||1 TSP|
|BLACK PEPPER||1/2 TSP|
|CASHEW NUTS||10 NO.|
- Wash the rice , dal,salt and add 4-5 cups of water.
- Pressure cook till 4-5 whistles.
- When it is done, mash this nicely with the back of the ladle by adding the milk. You can skip the addition of milk also.
- In a kadai, add the ghee and throw in the black pepper and when it crackles add the cashew nuts and saute in a low flame till it becomes golden brown colour.
- Lastly add the cumin seeds and switch off the flame in few seconds.Add curry leaves and ginger to this and saute for a few seconds.
- Switch off the flame.
- Mix the spices to the cooked rice and dal.
- Mix well.
- If you want just add a spoon of ghee to this and mix well.
- Enjoy ven pongal with Onion Gotsu.
- Many times I have tried ven pongal with parboiled rice also and that turned out well.
- Pepper can be crushed coarsely and added to this.
- Don’t saute the cumin seeds for a longer time as it will give a burnt taste.
Check out my Sakkarai Pongal | Sweet Pongal Recipe.