Masala peanuts or masala kadalai we call in tamil is a basically a deep fried snack and i still remember during our childhood days whenever my dad buys masala peanuts from office me , my sister and my grandma used to finish this on the same day itself. Yes my grandma is also a big fan of these masala peanuts. Though my mom and grandma makes all the sweets and snacks at home and i still remember we never buy any store bought snacks but somehow these masala peanuts we always buy from a particular shop from my home town. Suddenly i got a craving for these masala peanuts and my friend who makes this often guided me with few tips and the recipe for masala peanut is here:
(The peanuts which we get will be slightly bigger. I used the raw peanuts without skin and you can use the raw peanuts with skin too.)
|RAW PEANUTS||1 CUP|
|BESAN | CHICKPEA FLOUR|KADALAI MAAVU||3 TSBLP|
|RICE FLOUR||2 TBLSP|
|RED CHILLI POWDER||1/2 TSP|
|OIL||FOR DEEP FRYING|
|CHAAT MASALA||2 PINCHES(OPTIONAL)|
- In a wide bowl add the peanuts and wash it nicely.
- Drain the water completely.
- Add the besan, rice flour, chilli powder, salt, chaat masala(if using), crushed garlic pods(if using) and mix thoroughly.
- I didn’t add garlic.
- Add few drops of water and ghee to make it into a tight mixture.
- Never add excess water and make the mixture loose.
- Ghee is added to give more crispiness and to retain that too.
- Heat oil in a pan for deep frying.
- Sprinkle this peanut mix in oil.
- do not add too much in a batch.
- When the sizzle sound of the oil lessens take out the peanuts from the flame and drain them in the kitchen towel.
- This peanuts will be done very fast and be careful while frying this as this will get burnt easily.
- Store this in a air tight container and enjoy with tea.
- I love to have with curd rice too.
- If using skinned peanuts just continue with the same procedure or if you don’t want the skin just roast them in a pan for few minutes and rub it.
- Alternatively you can microwave it for a few minutes and take the skin out.
- The entire recipe cane be done without deep frying. You canbake it in an oven or microwave it too.
- I added crushed garlic in the last batch and i loved the flavor in that.