CHUTNEY WITHOUT COCONUT
Red jalapenos, I was introduced to this after coming to Singapore. Though i have seen this in the vegetable section i never picked this as i don’t have any idea of what to make with this red jalapeno. One day when my friend told that she told made chutney with red jalapenos and she gave me some to taste also. As the taste and the recipe sounded nice , i made it on the next week and had with Idli.
Red jalapenos can be replaced with a red bell pepper too.
|URAD DAL||2 TBLSP|
|TAMARIND||A VERY SMALL PIECE|
|OIL||2 TSP+ 1/2 tsp|
|MUSTARD SEEDS||1/4 TSP|
|CURRY LEAVES||FEW (OPTIONAL)|
- In a pan add oil and throw in the urad dal, red chilli, roughly chopped onion and roughly chopped jalapenos. Saute till the dal turns golden brown, saute in a medium flame.
- Switch off the flame and add tamarind and salt. Allow this to cool .
- When it is completely cool, grind it ina mixer into a smooth paste by adding little water while grinding.
- Transfer it to a bowl and temper with mustard seeds and curry leaves.
- Serve with hot idlis| dosa.. Even this will taste nice with chapathis too.
- Urad dal can be replaced with channa dal too.
- You can add garlic while sauting to enhance the flavor.
- Curry leaves or coriander leaves can be added while grinding to give more taste.