Kothamalli Chutney | Coriander chutney or green chutney (which my kiddos used to tell) is a simple one to make and a yet a tasty chutney to go with Idli | Dosa and sometimes with Curd rice too. My mom makes this Kothamalli chutney without coconut and dal. Though i like that way , since kiddos want this version of Kothamalli chutney, i made this few days back. Here is the recipe for Kothamalli chutney| Coriander chutney which makes a perfect side dish for idli and dosa.
I added 2 small onions to this chutney, but it is truly optional. You can make a no onion no garlic version too.
|CORIANDER LEAVES||1 CUP (TIGHTLY PACKED)|
|URAD DAL||1 TBLSP|
|COCONUT (SCRAPPED)||1-2 TBLSP|
|MUSTARD SEEDS||1/4 TSP|
- In a pan, add oil and add the urad dal , red chilli and shallots(if using)
- When the dal turns golden brownand the onions are roasted add the washed coriander leaves.
- Keep the flame low while roasting.
- Switch off the flame and add the coconut.
- Add salt and allow this to cool. Grind this into a smooth paste and temper with mustard seeds.
- Coriander chutney is ready to serve.
- Add little water to adjust the consistency,
- You can add tomato or gralic while sauting the dal.
- Even channa dal can be replaced in the place of urad dal.