POLI WITH CHANNA DAL POORNAM
But now a days we are so diet conscious and nobody want to stuff themselves with sweets. This recipe yields 11 puran polis and finally i learnt the recipe of making kadalai paruppu poornam from mom , which you have already seen in my MODAKAM -WITH CHANNA DAL POORNAM post.
INGREDIENTS: MAKES 11 POLIS
FOR OUTER DOUGH
|MAIDA | ALL PURPOSE FLOUR||3/4 CUP|
|TURMERIC POWDER||A PINCH|
|CHANNA DAL |KADALAI PARUPPU||1/2 CUP|
|COCONUT ( SCRAPPED)||1/2 CUP|
|CARDAMOM POWDER||A PINCH|
|GHEE||1/2 TSP ( OPTIONAL)|
METHOD FOR MAKING OUTER DOUGH
- Combine the maida, salt and turmeric powder. Add oil and start kneading the dough.
- If needed add 1-2 tblsp of water. The dough should be soft not too tight.Do not reduce the amount of oil mentioned, else you will not get soft polis.
- Keep it covered for 4-5 hours. The more the time it is kept aside the polis will be softer.
- Dry roast the channa dal for 5 minutes. Take care not to get it burnt.
- Soak it in water for 1/2 an hour.
- Pressure cook till 2-3 whistles. Completely drain the water.
- Let this cool. Once cool, grind this in mixer along with coconut and cardamom powder.
- Grind this smoothly. Add jaggery in the last and pulse once or twice.
- Poornam is done. If you feel the mixture is bit watery, don’t worry. Add ghee in a pan and saute for 5 minutes in a low flame. The poornam will come to the right consistency.
- When it is cool, divide it into 11 equal parts.
Method to make polis
- Divide the dough into 11 equal parts.
- Take a banana leaf , yes banana leaf works out well for polis. If not available use a zip lock, but you have to be careful while transferring it to the tawa., grease the banana leaf and place a portion of the dough on it.
- Spread it with your fingers into a small disc and place the poornam on it.
- Close the edges.
- With your fingers greased generously with sesame oil gently make polis and make it into a disc shaped one.
- Heat a tawa and keep it in a very low flame.
- Slowly transfer the banana leaf onto the tawa and take it out gently.
- Cook on both sides and smear a tsp of ghee and repeat the same for rest of the dough and poornam.
- I have taken video from a mobile as i am not satisfied with the quality of the video.
- Handling phone in one hand while making poli was too tough for me. And amma was bit scared to take the video too.
- Do not compromise with the quantity of oil. Else polis will be hard and dry.
- The dough should be bit loose, else it will be difficult for you to make polis.
- Let the poornam be stiff , if watery it will come out while making polis.