I have scheduled few posts for the next 2 weeks and few complied posts for weekend Indian cooking basics too. We are going to Chennai for 2 weeks on a vacation. I will not be so prompt in replying mails and please bear with me.
- Wash the rice and soak in 1 and 1/2 cup of water for 15 mins. Cut the beetroot into small cubes.
- Chop the onions and tomato roughly. Peel the skin of the garlic.
- In a pan add little oil and add in the cubed onions and tomatoes and garlic.
- Saute till the become nice golden brown. Add the mint leaves and coriander leaves to this and cook for a minute.
- Switch off the flame. Allow it to cool.
- Grind this into a smooth paste. Since it has tomatoes no need to add water.
- In a pressure cooker, add oil and add in the ground paste.
- Saute well for few minutes in a low flame. Add red chilli powder and turmeric powder.
- Add the beetroot , corn and peas(if adding) and saute well. Add salt to this.
- Add the rice which we soaked. Do not discard the water. Saute this in a low flame for 5 minutes.
- Add 1 and 1/2 water to this and cover the lid of the cooker. Let 1 whistle come. Simmer the flame and let be in low flame for 10 minutes.
- Fluff the rice once the pressure is released.
- Beetroot pulao is ready to serve. Onion raita is the best combo for this pulao.