Poha kesari | Aval kesari is a very easy sweet recipe, which you can make on janmashtami | Krishna jayanthi. I have few requests from readers to post this recipe of easy aval kesari, and i called up my mother yesterday night to note down the recipe. My mom's neighbourhood aunty who was there when i called, immediately told the recipe. Even my mom too never made this kesari. My mom also tried this today morning and i also tried this morning. This is a very easy recipe and those who do not have time to make any sweets in the last minute, can do this aval kesari in a jiffy.
- Dry roast the poha | aval for 5 minutes in a low flame, without getting burnt.
- Powder this in a mixie . Not very fine, just to the consistency of rava.
- Add little ghee in a pan and roast the cashew nuts.
- Keep it aside. In the same pan roast the powdered poha and saute in a low flame for 7-9 minutes. Do not change the colour and be careful not to get this burnt.
- Boil 2 cups of water nicely in a saucepan. Add this slowly to the roasted poha and cook in a medium flame. The poha will absorb all the water and get cooked too. If u check with your wet hands, the poha should not stick to your hands. this means it is fully cooked. Keep the flame low.
- Add the sugar to this. Stir this quickly and do not worry if the mixture turns watery.
- Mix the kesar color in 2 tsp of water and add to this. Let this cook nicely till it becomes a whole mass.
- Add the roasted cashew and the remaining ghee and cardamom powder.
- When the ghee starts oozing out, and doesn't stick to the pan, switch off the flame. Aval kesari is ready for neivedhyam.
- Do not add sugar before the poha is cooked.
- My mom told she added 1 and 1/2 cup sugar for 1 cup of poha. But i added equal amount of sugar. I felt the sweet is medium and perfect for my family.