Look out for my Cook book on Millets published by Vikatan publications. Click the link to but the book online. The shipping is available worldwide.- http://books.vikatan.com/index.php?bid=2303
Millet Upma Adai
Preparation Time : 5 mins | Cooking Time : 20 Mins+7 mins for each batch |Makes: 12 approx.
Samai | Little Millet 1/2 cup
Toor dal 2 tblsp
Whole pepper 3/4 tsp
Cumin seeds | jeera 1/4 tsp
Salt as needed
Grated Carrot few tblsp (optional)
Oil 2 tsp + to cook the adai
Curry leaves few
- Pulse the toor dal, pepper and cumin in the mixer. Just coarsely pulse this.
- In a pan add oil and throw in the mustard seeds and curry leaves. Add grated carrot(if adding) and add 1 and 1/2 cup water.
- Add salt and allow the water to boil. When it boils add the samai millet and the pulsed toor dal mixture. Keep the flame medium and allow this to cook.
- Once the millet is cooked and the water is completely absorbed, allow this to cool completely.
- Take small portions and make into round balls. Flatten these balls like tikkis.
- In a tawa place the patties and cook on both sides till slightly golden spots appear. Drizzle little oil while cooking the adais.
- Repeat this for the rest of the patties. Serve hot with any chutney of your choice.
- You can try this with any variety of millet .
- While cooking the millet ensure the water is completely absorbed.
- Alternatively you can steam the mixture and make upma pidi kozhukattais too.
- Instead of toor dal you can add moong dal too.
- Adding coconut instead of carrot enhances the taste.
- Adding coconut oil while cooking also enhances the taste.