Chutney Without coconut - Ulutham paruppu chutney
Urad dal chutney recipe
Preparation Time : 15 mins | Cooking Time : 15 Mins |Serves: 3-4
Urad dal 1/4 cup
Red chili 4
Tamarind a small piece
Garlic 1 pod (optional)
Mustard seeds 1/4 tsp
Asafoetida 2 pinches
Oil 1 tsp
Salt as needed
Curry leaves few
- In a pan add oil and add the urad dal, red chili and tamarind. Add the asafoetida along with this. Saute till golden brown.
- Keep it aside and roughly chop the onions and peel the skin of the garlic.
- Cook in the same pan in a low flame till the onions turn brown.
- Allow all the roasted items to cool completely. Put this in mixie along with salt.
- Grind this into a smooth paste by adding water as needed to get the chutney consistency.
- Temper with mustard seeds and curry leaves and add it to the chutney.
- Chutney is ready to serve with idli or dosa or kuzhipaniyaram.
- If you want you can add little coconut to the chutney while grinding.
- You can skip the garlic too, if you do not eat garlic.