Paneer pakora | paneer pakoda is a tea time snack made with paneer. Paneer is dipped in gram flour batter and deep fried in oil. I wanted to try out paneer pakora for a very long time, but finally made it yesterday. Also this the first time i tasted the pakora too. Actually i wanted to make a kachori chaat today but was running out of few ingredients for that and made this pakora. I will post the kachori chaat recipe soon. Check out my collection of holi sweet recipes.
Paneer pakora recipe
Preparation Time : 10 mins | Cooking Time : 25 Mins |Serves: 3-4
Paneer cubes (big) 14 pieces
Green chutney as needed
Besan | kadalaimaavu| Gram flour 1 cup
Rice flour 2 tblsp
Ajwain | omam 1/2 tsp
Red chili powder 1 tsp
Oil for deep frying
Baking soda a pinch
Salt as needed
Video of how to make paneer pakora
- Sieve the gram flour, this is to avoid any lumps.
- In a bowl add the gram flour, rice flour, red chili powder, ajwain, salt and a pinch of baking soda.
- Add water and mix well to bring it to a medium thick batter consistency.
- Keep it aside.
- Bring the paneer to room temperature.
- Slit the paneer and apply green chutney on both sides. Repeat this for the rest of the paneer cubes.
- Alternatively you can skip this step and just dip this in batter and make pakora.
- Since paneer will be bit bland i want to add some chutney.
- Heat oil and add 1 tblsp of hot oil to the batter and mix well.
- Dip the sandwiched paneer in the batter and place it into the hot oil.
- Do not overcrowd the pan.
- Keep the flame medium.
- Cook on both sides till they become golden brown.
- Take out from oil.
- Drain in a kitchen towel.
- Repeat the same for the rest of the paneer pieces.
- Sprinkle some chaat masala on the top while serving.
- Serve hot with ginger tea.
- Do not make the batter too thin, else it will not get coated to the paneer.
- Adding hot oil to the batter gives crispiness to the outer cover, so do not skip it.
- Also it helps in reducing the pakoras absorb more oil while frying.