Paneer pizza | paneer tikka pizza is a Indian version of veg pizza. Here in Singapore we get only one option for vegetarian in Pizza hut. So whenever we go to India we ordere paneer pizza and enjoy. A very good friend of mine who always bakes cake for all occasions, is an expert in making pizza too. Recently she gave us a pizza party for her husband’s surprise birthday party. The tandoori paneer pizza was the highlight of all the pizzas. She followed the recipe from Tarla dalal recipe book and passed on the book to me. Also she patiently explained all my doubts and gave me few tips to get the pizza perfect. I adapted the pizza base recipe from The Kitchn, and the paneer topping recipe from the tarla dalal book. I was literally jumping out of joy as my pizza turned out so perfect. My food crictic in my home, my daughter Varsha gave me 👍👍for this paneer pizza. What else do i need. We are here enjoying our rainy day dinner with pumpkin soup, pizza and fruit custard.
Preparation Time : 30 mins + 1 hour resting time| Cooking Time : 20 Mins |Serves: 2-3
For the pizza dough (for 2 pizza base)
Bread flour | All purpose flour 2 cups
Active Dry Yeast 1 tsp
Warm water 3/4 cup to 1 cup
Salt 3/4 tsp
Sugar 1/2 tsp
Olive oil 1 tsp
For the paneer marinade ( for 1 pizza)
Paneer cubes 1/2 cup
Capsicum 2 tblsp (cubed)
Onion 1 (small size)
Thick curd 1 tblsp
Fresh cream 1 tblsp (optional)
Kasoori methi 1/2 tsp
Garam masala 1 tsp
Red chili powder 1 tsp
Salt as needed
Butter 2 tsp
Optional – Charcoal + 1/4 tsp butter
For the sauce
Tomato ketchup 1 tblsp
Chili sauce 1 tblsp
Mozzarella cheese 1/2 cup
Video on how to make pizza
- To make the dough, add 1 tsp of active dry yeast into 1 cup of luke warm water. Ensure the water is slightly warm ,if it is hot the yeast will die and the dough will not rise.
- Also ensure the yeast is active and new. Very old yeast will not be good and will not make the dough raise.
- Add salt and sugar to the water.
- Mix well and keep it aside for 10 minutes. The yeast must have frothed up. If not the yeast is not active. If any case the yeast is not frothing up do not proceed with the recipe.
- In a wide bowl add the flour and make a dent in the center.
- Pour the yeast water into this and start kneading the dough.
- Knead into a soft dough and add 1 tsp of olive oil.
- Cover the dough with a damp cloth and keep it aside for an hour.
- If you are living in a cold place, keep it inside the kitchen cupboard or inside the oven(without switching it on)
- For me the dough doubled in an hour. Divide them into 2 equal parts.
- In the resting time let’s make the marinade for paneer toppings.
- In a wide bowl add the red chili powder, thick curd, garam masala, salt, kasoori methi, fresh cream(if adding) and mix well. Add the paneer cubes, capsicum and onion cubes to this.
- Mix well to get the masalas get coated evenly.
- If using the charcoal method, heat the charcoal in open flame and place it in a small bowl.
- Add 1/4 tsp of butter on the the charcoal and immediately cover the bowl with a lid.
- Let this sit for 10 minutes.
- Take out the charcoal bowl and discard it. Let this marinade for 15 more minutes.
- In a pan add 1 tsp of butter and cook the paneer mixture.
- Cook for 2-3 minutes in medium flame and transfer it to a bowl.
- After 1 hour the dough must have raised. Punch down the dough and knead for few seconds.
- Divide the dough into 2 equal parts. I made one pizza with paneer toppings and another one with veg toppings.
- You can keep the dough inside the refrigerator for further use.
- Also you can freeze this a month and use whenever you want.
- For the sauce, you can either sue store bought pizza sauce, but the simpler version is by adding the tomato ketchup and the chilli sauce together.
- Mix both the sauces together.
- In a baking plate, grease with little oil and put a parchment paper on this. This will help in avoiding the melted cheese sticking to the bottom of the pan.
- Place the dough in the middle of the plate and start stretching the dough to make it as pizza base.
- Alternatively you can roll this using a rolling pin, and carefully transfer it to the baking plate.
- Prick the base with fork on all sides.
- Spread the sauce evenly on the pizza base.
- Sprinkle the paneer topping evenly on the pizza base.
- Spread the cheese on all sides.
- Preheat the oven for 10 minutes @ 160 degrees.
- Bake the pizza for 15 minutes or till the cheese melts and becomes golden brown.
- Take out from the oven and let it cool for 2 minutes.
- Using a pizza cutter cut it into triangles and serve immediately.
- Delicious Tandoori paneer pizza is ready.
- You can add ginger garlic paste to the paneer marinade.
- The charcoal gives the tandoori effect to the paneer pizza. If you have charcoal at home, try this for sure.
- You can make everything and keep inside the refrigerator for 20 minutes and bake after that.
- Bread flour gives more softness to pizza and buns as it is high in gluten and protein.
- Ensure the yeast is well proofed before proceeding with making of the pizza.