Red coconut chutney
Preparation Time : 10 mins | Cooking Time : 2 Mins |Serves: 2-3
Coconut 1/2 cup
Roasted gram | Pottukadalai 3 tblsp
Red chili 3
Shallots | chinna vengayam 2 + 1
Oil 1 tsp
Mustard seeds 1/4 tsp
Urad dal 1/4 tsp
Curry leaves few
Salt as needed
- Soak the red chili for 10 minutes . This step is optional. You can directly go ahead and make the chutney. But soaking gives nice colour to the chutney and also get it grind easily.
- Take out the soaked chili and grind this along with coconut, salt, 2 shallots and roasted gram. Add little water and grind this into a smooth paste.
- Chop one shallot finely. In a small pan add oil and add the mustard seeds, urad dal, chopped onion and curry leaves.
- Add this to the chutney. Add water to the chutney to bring it to a right consistency.
- Serve with idli| dosa |aapam or pongal.
- Instead of onion, you can add a small piece of ginger to the chutney while grinding.
- You can add 1-2 cloves of garlic while grinding. Do not add more than that.
- You can roast the channa dal and red chili in oil and grind it along with coconut. I saw this method in varehvah video.
- You can add few more red chili and add little bit of tamarind.
- Do not store this chutney for long as they will lose it freshness also it will not stay good during travel.
- You can use fresh red chili too. But it will be very spicy, so add 1 for this quantity.