Preparation Time : 15 mins | Cooking Time : 25 Mins |Serves: 6
Mixed Vegetables* 2 cups
Oil 3 tsp
Mustard seeds 1/4 tsp
Urad dal 1/4 tsp
Curry leaves few
Lemon juice 1 tsp
Red chili 1
To grind into paste
Coriander seeds 2 tsp
Cumin seeds 1 tsp
Cashew nuts 6
Garlic 6 cloves
Ginger a small piece
Coriander leaves few
Mint leaves few
Coconut 3 tblsp
Cinnamon a small piece
Whole black pepper 1 tsp
Khus khus |khasa khasa 2 tsp **
*Veggies is used carrot, beans, potato,green peas and chow chow. You can add cauliflower, turnip too.
**Since we don’t khus khus in Singapore, i replaced with cashew. But if you get khus khus in your place please add it to get the authentic Karnataka Veg saagu.
- Chop the veggies into cubes. Slice the onions into small. Slit the green chilies.
- Grind all the ingredients under the head “to grind into paste”. No need to roast this. If adding khus khus skip the cashew nuts. You can add 1 tsp of chutney dal|pottukadalai to this while grinding.
- Grind this into a fine paste using little water.
- In a pan add oil and add mustard seeds, red chili (i forgot) urad dal, curry leaves and green chili.
- Once the mustard seeds splutter, add the chopped onions.
- Let this cook for a while. Saute in a low flame till the onions become pink.
- Add the ground masala to this. Cook for 2 minutes in a low flame.
- Add the cut veggies to this.
- Add 1 cup of water to this.
- Add salt to this and cover it and cook for 15 minutes or till the veggies get cooked.
- Stir in between.
- Alternatively you can do the entire process in a pressure cooker. If using that method, after this stage cover the cooker and pressure cook for 1-2 whistles.
- Once done switch off the flame. Add finely chopped coriander leaves.
- Add the lemon juice and mix well.
- Veg sagu is ready to serve. You can serve this with set dosa or poori or chapathi too.
- Rava idli also goes well with sagu, but generally for rava idli they make potato sagu only.
- Khasa khasa | poppy seeds is widely used by all in veg sagu, if you get access to that, use it.
- If you do not want to add more coconut reduce the quantity little bit.
- Adding mint and coriander leaves enhances the taste of the sagu.
- The spices like coriander seeds, cinnamon, cardamom, cloves, khus khus can be made into a dry powder in bulk, and use it in desirable quantity while making sagu.