Scroll down to read the notes section to see tips for variation.
Kadamba chutney recipe
Preparation Time : 15 mins | Cooking Time : 15 Mins |Serves: 4-5
Mixed Vegetables* 1 cup
Urad dal 1 tblsp
Channa dal 1 tblsp
Red chili 3-4
Garlic 3 pods (optional)
Coriander leaves handful
Mint leaves handful
Curry leaves few
Ginger a small piece
Salt as needed
Coconut 1 tblsp (optional)
Oil 4-5 tsp
Mustard seeds 1/4 tsp
* I used carrot, chow chow, cabbage,ridge gourd, red capsicum and green capsicum .
You can add yellow pumpkin, bottle gourd,radish and cauliflower too.
Video on how to make kadamba chutney
- In a pan add oil and add in the urad dal, chana dal and red chili.
- Roast till the dal turns golden brown.
- Roughly chop the onion, tomato and all the veggies.
- Once the dal turns brown, take it out from the pan and keep it aside.
- Add the chopped onions, ginger and garlic.
- Saute till the onions turn slightly brown. Add the tomatoes.
- Add the coriander leaves, curry leaves and mint leaves.
- Cook till the leaves shrinks.
- Keep it aside.
- Add little oil and add the veggies.
- Cook in a medium low flame for 4-5 minutes. Be careful not to burn this.
- When the veggies are bit soft, switch off the flame.
- Allow this to cool completely and add grated coconut. (if adding)
- Grind this in a mixie. Add water while grinding.
- Transfer it to a bowl and season it with mustard seeds.
- Kadamba chutney or vegetable chutney is ready to serve.
- Serve with idli, dosa or even this chutney goes well with chapathis too.
- Ginger and mint contributes more to the taste, so do not omit them.
- If making this as a thogayal, skip the chana dal and add 1 more tblsp of urad dal.
- Grind coarsely and do not add much water while grinding. It should be thick.
- This kadamba chutney|veg thogayal is a best pair for curd rice too.