Preparation Time : 15 mins + 6 hours soaking time| Cooking Time : 25 Mins |Serves: 20 vadais approx.
Karamani | lobia | cowpeas 1 cup
Fennel seeds 2 tsp
Mint leaves a hand ful
Curry leaves few
Red chili 6-7
Asafoetida 2 pinches
Salt as needed
Oil for deep frying
- Soak the karamani overnight or 5-6 hours.
- Drain the water completely and grind this along with mint leaves,asafoetida,curry leaves,red chili .
- Grind this coarsely. Do not add water while grinding. If you feel the batter is too thick and the mixie is difficult to move, sprinkle little water.
- Transfer it to a bowl. You can keep this inside the refrigerator, if you want to make later.
- When you are about to make, add finely chopped onions and coriander leaves.
- Add salt.
- Mix well with hands evenly.
- Heat oil. Take a lemon sized ball of the vada mixture and flatten it.
- Drop the flattened vadais into the oil and fry till golden brown. Drain in the kitchen towel.
- I missed to click the cooked vadais and realised it while editing the pictures.
- Serve hot with tomato ketchup or green chutney.
- You can add finely grated carrots and cabbage.
- A small piece of ginger can be added while grinding.
- Few pods of garlic can also be added.
- Do not skip the coriander leaves and mint leaves.