Preparation Time : 15 mins | Cooking Time : 25 Mins |Serves: 3
Basmati rice 1/4 cup
Split Green gram dal 1/4 cup
Palak 1/2 cup
Red chili powder 1 tsp
Cumin seeds 1/4 tsp
Ginger garlic paste 1/2 tsp
Ginger 1/2 tsp (grated)
Garlic 1/4 tsp (finely chopped)
Ghee 1 tblsp
Oil 3 tsp
Red chili 1
Salt as needed
- Wash and cook the rice and dal. Add 2 cups of water to this.
- Pressure cook for 6-7 whistles.
- Mash the rice dal mixture after it is cooked.
- Chop the palak finely. Puree it in a mixie by adding little water. Add 2 pinches of sugar while grinding the palak. This is to retain the green color of the palak.
- In a pan add oil and add the ginger garlic paste. Chop the onions finely.
- Once the ginger garlic paste is slightly roasted add the onions to this. Chop the tomatoes and keep it ready.
- Once the onions turn pink add the tomatoes.
- Saute till it becomes mushy.
- Add the red chili powder and salt.
- Add the palak puree to this.
Cook for 5-7 minutes or till the raw smell of the palak disappears.
Add the mashed rice to this.
- Mix well . Let this cook on a low flame for 5 minutes.
- Stir in between.
- Add little hot water if you feel the khichidi is too thick.
- In a small pan add ghee, cumin seeds, garlic, ginger and red chili.
- Saute till the garlic turns slight golden colour.
- Add it to the khichidi. Mix well.
- Serve hot with pickle or papad or a simple raita.
- You can puree the tomato and add.
- If you want to make a no onion no garlic version skip it.