My mom makes this with only channa dal, but i learnt this version from my relative. Check the recipe of aama vadai, which we make for bogi pandigai and aavani avittam. Also check my no onion no garlic Cabbage vadai and Ulundu vadai too.
Preparation Time : 10 mins + soaking time 2 hours | Cooking Time : 30 Mins |Serves: 4
Channa dal 1 cup
Toor dal 1/2 cup
Yellow moong dal 1/4 cup
Red chili 5-6
Asafoetida a generous pinch
Onion 1 big
Mint leaves few
Salt as needed
Coriander leaves few
Sombu |fennel seeds 1/4 tsp
Ghee 1 tsp
Oil for deep frying
- Soak all the dals together for 2 hours
- Grind it in the mixie along with chilies, saunf ,salt,asafoetida and curry leaves adding very little water to it.
- Grind it little coarsely.
- Add the finely chopped onions, coriander leaves and mint leaves.
- Add the ghee to it.(adding this gives more crispiness to the vadai)
- Mix it well.
- Make it into bite sized patties and deep fry it oil
- Keep the oil in medium flame, or else it will not get cooked inside.
- Drain the excess oil in a kitchen towel.
- Serve it with tomato sauce.