Onion tomato chutney is the usual one which i make for idli or dosa. This version i tasted long back in a birthday party and tried at home assuming the ingredients, but to my surprise the onion tomato chutney (without coconut) came out well and it tasted almost the same .Two days back i made this for dosa and my little one who doesn’t eat chutneys, enjoyed this a lot.Check out my full collection of chutney recipes.
Preparation Time : 10 mins | Cooking Time : 15 Mins |Serves: 3-4
Garlic 3 cloves (optional)
Roasted gram | pottukadalai 1 tblsp
Oil 1 tblsp + 1 tsp
Salt as needed
Red chili 4
Tamarind a small piece
Mustard seeds 1/4 tsp
Curry leaves few
Video of Onion tomato chutney
- Chop the onion and tomato finely and peel the skin of garlic.
- In a pan add oil and throw in the red chilli,tamarind and garlic and roast them in a medium flame.
- Now add the onions and saute till they turns slightly brown in color. Cook in a medium flame. Add salt to this while cooking to ensure even and fast cooking.
- Now add the tomatoes to this.
- Cook till the tomatoes become mushy.
- Add roasted gram to this and switch off the flame.
- Grind this into a smooth paste adding little water.
- Check for salt and temper with mustard seeds and curry leaves.
- Dilute this by adding little water to reach your desired consistency.
- Instead of Roasted gram, urad dal or channa dal can also be added.
- If using any of these dals, roast them nicely till golden brown and keep it aside.
- Few tblsps of shredded coconut can also be added while grinding.